First Community Interfaith Institute Inc. invites the public to attend the week long "Uhuru Week: In Honor of Marcus Garvey" from August 13-19. All events will be at 219 Hamilton Street.
- Sunday, August 13 (4 PM): Special Student Doology Hour featuring a presentation on the Ashanti (Asante) nation of Ghana, followed by a commentary by Minister Lawrance Lee Evans. Dinner will be served.
- Monday-Wednesday, August 14-16 (6 PM): there will be a display of Garvey related materials. Attendees can use these dates to enroll in the Charles Riley Tutorial Program or meet with Minister Lawrance Lee Evans
- Thursday, August 17 (6 PM): 130TH anniversary of the Honorable Marcus Garvey's birth, highlights are presentations on the Akan and Zulu nations of Ghana and South Africa respectively, a presentation on the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the annual Sylvester and Stacey Johnson Memorial. Refreshments will be served.
- Friday, August 18 (6 PM): presentation on the Igbo (Ibo) nation of Nigeria, followed by a concert featuring the Johnny Brown Defense Committee. Dinner will be served.
- Saturday, August 19 (1-3 PM): Weekly bottle campaign fundraiser, the community is encouraged to donate their NYS cans and bottles to the Institute
Here is a recent video from the FCII Festival this past July. Part of the Rochester group recited the classic "Parable of the Eagle" during the Martha Jordan Dinner on July 8:
In this video, Minister Lawrance Lee Evans Sr.'s son gives his annual keynote address at the Elizabeth Coleman Dinner on July 7:
We look forward to your participation at this year's Uhuru Week.